Lesson 10.15

These posts are a little out of order this week.  The Sunday post should be up tomorrow.  It's been one of those weeks.

M called me prior to the lesson to ask if I would help her load some 2 year olds onto the trailer.  One hadn't even been in one, so she wasn't sure how that would go.  She also had to run out to Milford for a minute, so if I could get Harley tacked up, she would be back at the barn before 6.   I was the only lesson, as the others had moved to the cooler morning hours or canceled.  If this wasn't my last lesson for a week, I might have considered canceling, too. 

It was so hot in the barn!  I brushed the pathetically subdued Harley, who was even more listless than normal.  He was sweating just standing in his stall!  I was sweating by the time I had him ready!  M pulled up just as I was getting his bridle on, as promised.

We actually went to the outdoor arena, where there was a bit of a breeze and some shade.  It was so hot in the indoor arena you could barely take a breath!  We decided to use just half of the outdoor so M didn't have to yell so loud.

To give Harley a break, we worked mostly at a slow jog.  She had me take my feet out of the stirrups and sit the trot, and then post the rails.  I haven't ridden Harley in a while, and he was a lot bouncier than I remembered.  My balance has improved over the summer, and I only felt like I was going to teeter out of the saddle a couple of times. 

I lost a stirrup at the canter and instead of sucking it up, I stopped Harley and got it back.  Then he kept picking up the wrong lead when I asked for it again.  We didn't canter much with the heat. 

After the lesson, I left Harley tied in his stall to cool out.  He stood motionless, his head droopy from his activities.  I felt guilty for requesting all of his efforts! It was 95 degrees after all!Then I went to the other barn to help M with the babies.  Tina was there, too, thankfully.  Never having done this before, I wouldn't have been much help if she hadn't been there.

With Tina and M each leading one of the fillies, I was told to get a broom.  I came back with a push broom, and Tina told me that it wouldn't work.  Then I realized that I might be required to smack a horse with it, and was a little unhappy.  After retrieving the other broom, M told me to stand to the side of the first filly and cluck.  Watch so she didn't kick.  If she moved backwards, I was to give her a tap with the broom.

The first one loaded without too much difficulty.  The next filly wasn't quite so easy.  She had never been on a trailer before, and she was obviously terrified of the large gaping maw we expected her to step into.  I felt like a bully whacking at her with the broom.  I don't know what made her suddenly bolt onto the trailer; me growling like a rabid dog, or separation anxiety from her friend.

Not to be outdone, the chiropractor showed up to work on Dee Dee.  The mare was suffering from a sore back, and M was hoping than a visit from the friendly neighborhood equine chiropractor would sort her out for the horse show this weekend.  It was interesting to watch her work on the horse.  I wonder if it really helps? 

This entry was posted in Riding Lessons. Bookmark the permalink.